Prepare a Meal
Easily see which dates are available with our online planning calendar.
Our guests often have wonderful feedback about staying at HHOC but one of the things we hear the most is how wonderful the meals are that are prepared by our volunteers! Would you like to join the ranks of our amazing chefs?
Patients and families are able to receive a break from eating out or snacking from vending machines when volunteers prepare meals. It’s a rewarding experience for our volunteers to come to HHOC, meet guests, and connect with those in need. You will truly leave knowing you made a difference.
- We ask volunteers to prepare for approximately 30 people when planning a meal. Our guests love leftovers so too much food is always appreciated.
- There are no meal restrictions.
- You may cook on-site and use our equipment or cook off-site.
- You can sign up on our meal/snack planning calendar to easily see which dates are available.
- Meals can be prepared for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
- Snacks and desserts only are also great for our guests.
- We do not have set meal times as guests have varying schedules due to their patient’s specific needs at the hospital.
- Because we do not have a full-time cleaning staff, please allow time for your group to clean up after cooking. If you are able to bring paper products for serving, that can make the cleanup easier as well.
What to Bring?
- Please bring all of the ingredients to prepare your meal.
- We have a fully equipped kitchen including pots, pans, utensils, plates, cups, serving dishes, ice, three microwaves and two ovens.
- Often our cookware has had lots use so if you have a favorite pan to cook in to make your favorite dish, feel free to bring it and please take it back as soon as you are done.
Our guests are so grateful for any meals that are cooked for them. They often ask for the recipe so we love when cooks are creative. A few menu examples include:
- Lasagna and salad
- Bacon, eggs and grits
If for any reason you are unable to bring the meal you have signed up for, please email Josh Logan, at firstname.lastname@example.org so the guests can be made aware of the cancellation.